Pineapple Tarte Tatin
Cooks in 25 mins
not too tricky
Will need 9" round oven proof pan
- 1 large sheet of frozen puff pastry (200g)
- 1 large pineapple
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 caster sugar, can substitute granulated
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Pull puff pastry from freezer, partially thaw it but make sure it's still cold when you use it.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the top, skin and eyes from the pineapple. Slice in half horizontally and then again vertically, and remove and discard the fibrous cores. Cut into 1/3 slices and set aside or you can slice into rounds 1/3" thick.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat then sprinkle sugar and cook, until it begins to caramelize. When the caramel is nice and dark, be careful as it can easily burn, add pineapple slices and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until they soften a little.
- Arrange the pineapple in overlapping circles in a 9" round ovenproof pan. Pour over the caramel then lay the pastry on top, tucking the edge between the fruit and the pan.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden. Leave to rest for a few minutes before inverting onto a warm plate.
- Serve immediately with some whipped cream, crème fraîche or good quality vanilla ice cream!